2100 Manchester Road, Suite 908, Wheaton, IL 60187

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call Us630-364-4046

Wheaton | St. Charles

Who Pays for College After Divorce?

 Posted on February 05, 2019 in Family Law

Wheaton child support lawyerIn today’s job market, it is becoming increasingly necessary to have education beyond a high school diploma. Regardless of whether that means attending a trade school or earning a degree, the price of higher education continues to increase as a direct result of supply and demand economics. Not only do parents feel the pressure to ensure the best life for their children, but Illinois also puts additional pressure on parents to cover this demand by ordering parents to pay for undergraduate education.

The requirement leaves many divorced Illinois parents wondering, who is ultimately responsible for the bill?

Your Divorce Occurred in the Past

If your divorce occurred years ago when college planning was the last thing on your mind, it is not unusual to require a modification of terms. First, review the original divorce decree to see if it included any stipulations regarding higher education. This step must be completed well before the child begins schooling or acquires any education expenses. If the issue was on reserve to review at a later date, failing to discuss the decree until after cost accumulation may result in a denial of assistance for the current expenses.

You are Currently Divorcing

If you are considering divorce or are currently going through the process, your course of action depends mainly on the age of the child in question. For instance, if your child is very young, it may be wise to put a reserve on the issue so you may revisit it when the time is right. Determining vital information too early may result in a lack of sufficient funds once the child applies for school. Additionally, the need may not exist later, or the financial status may change of either party. If, however, your child is nearing college-age, it becomes important to discuss the financial capabilities of each party. The court may require parents contribute to:

  • Tuition and fees;
  • Housing expenses;
  • Medical expenses;
  • Books and other supplies; and
  • Reasonable living expenses.

Contact a Wheaton Family Law Attorney

When it comes to college expenses, Illinois courts may require that one or both parents contribute financially to the cost of higher education. A judge will take into consideration the financial capabilities of the parties as well as the academic performance of the child and the general standard of living; however, the financial obligation is hefty, and it is vital to protect your rights. Contact a DuPage County child support lawyer today to ensure the care of both you and your child. The attorneys at Goostree Law Group understand the financial stress of college expenses. Find out how we can help you. Call our office today to schedule a free initial consultation at 630-364-4046.






Share this post:
Back to Top