2100 Manchester Road, Suite 908, Wheaton, IL 60187

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call Us630-364-4046

Wheaton | St. Charles

Wheaton Parental Relocation with Children Lawyer

Wheaton Parent Child Relocation Attorneys

Family Lawyers Providing Legal Guidance When the Custodial Parent Plans to Relocate

As a parent, providing for your child should be your most important priority. His or her well-being plays a role in virtually every decision that you make. According to Illinois law, however, your child's best interests also include a healthy relationship with both parents whenever possible. This means that, if you are subject to a child custody order or parenting plan following a divorce, and you wish to move out of the area with your child, you will need to take some steps in preparation. The experienced team at Goostree Law Group can assist you in pursuing available opportunities wherever they may take you.

Parental Responsibilities Orders and Parenting Plans in Illinois

If you are a divorced, separated, or unmarried parent, a parenting plan—previously known as a child custody order—probably governs your arrangement with your child's other parent. Illinois courts have long recognized the importance of stability in a child's life, and the court will only modify an existing order when required by a substantial change in family circumstances. The state's parental responsibility laws explicitly state that certain moves with your child constitute a substantial change. The statute refers to such a move as a relocation and specifies that a move is considered a relocation if you have at least half of the parenting time and:

  • You move with your child from a home in DuPage, Cook, Kane, Lake, McHenry, or Lake County to a new home in Illinois that is more than 25 miles away.
  • You move with your child from a home in any other Illinois county to a new home in Illinois that is more than 50 miles away.
  • You move with your child from a home anywhere in Illinois to a new home outside of Illinois that is more than 25 miles away.

Legal Advocates for Parents in Aurora and Lisle

If your proposed move is a relocation, you will need to obtain the consent of the child's other parent and present a revised parenting plan to the court. However, if the other parent refuses to allow your move, you may petition the court to override the refusal. Our experienced attorneys are equipped to assist you in showing the court that your intended move will provide a better life for your child. We will also help you develop a new parenting time arrangement that allows your child to continue a relationship with the other parent despite the geographic distance.

Conversely, if your child's other parent is attempting to relocate in spite of your objections, we will work with you in showing that the move would be harmful to your child. Nothing is more important than a healthy bond between a parent and child, and if a proposed relocation poses a threat, you have the legal right to contest it before the court. With more than 80 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys have the necessary tools to aid you in protecting your parental rights.

Call 630-364-4046 Today

For answers to your questions about parenting plans and relocation under Illinois law, contact the DuPage County law firm of Goostree Law Group today. We offer a free initial consultation so that you can discuss your case with a member of our team and get the high-quality legal representation you deserve. Call 630-364-4046 to schedule an appointment. We represent clients in Wheaton, Aurora, Lisle, Downers Grove, Woodridge, Warrenville, and the surrounding areas.

Back to Top