2100 Manchester Road, Suite 908, Wheaton, IL 60187

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Youtube

Call Today for a Free Consultation

Call Us630-364-4046

Wheaton | St. Charles

Should I Get a Protection Order for Verbal, Mental, or Psychological Abuse?

 Posted on June 28, 2022 in Family Law

DuPage County Family Law AttorneyWhen people think of abuse or domestic violence, they may picture a battered individual with visible injuries. Although physical abuse is one type of domestic violence, it is not the only type of abuse men and women may be subjected to. Threats, intimidation, scare tactics, stalking, and harassment are just some of the ways an abuser may hurt someone without physically injuring them.

Fortunately, Illinois law reflects the fact that abuse does not always involve punching or kicking. Other forms of psychological and emotional torment also fall under the category of abuse. Victims have the right to seek legal protection against abuse through an order of protection. In many cases, getting an order of protection is the best way to prevent further abuse, harassment, and violence from escalating.

Understanding The Timeline of Abuse

Abusive relationships often follow a pattern. At first, the relationship is pleasant and respectful. However, over time, the abuser becomes more and more controlling and violent. The abuser starts using verbal abuse like insults and yelling to destroy the victim’s self-esteem. He or she isolates the victim from friends and family, uses gaslighting and other psychological tactics to confuse the victim, or purposefully embarrasses the victim. These types of emotional and mental abuse tactics are often the precursor to physical violence. If you or a loved one are currently suffering from this type of non-physical abuse, do not wait until the situation escalates to take action.

Benefits of Getting an Illinois Order of Protection

Illinois law specifically states that harassment, interference with personal liberty, intimidation of a dependent, and willful deprivation all count as abuse. You do not have to wait until abuse leads to physical injuries to seek legal help. If you are afraid for your safety or the safety of your children, consider getting an order of protection. A protective order, called a restraining order in other states, may be customized based on the victim’s needs. You may be able to get a protective order that prohibits the abuser from coming to your home, workplace, or school. If you live together, the protective order may even force him or her to move out. If the abuser violates any of the terms of the protective order, you can call the police and have them arrested. Violating an order of protection is a criminal offense in Illinois.

Contact a Wheaton Order of Protection Lawyer

If you have been abused by a spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend, ex, family member, or household member, contact Goostree Law Group for legal help. Our DuPage County family law attorneys can help you file a petition for an order of protection, represent you during court proceedings, and ensure your rights are protected. Call 630-364-4046 for a free consultation.





Share this post:
Back to Top